Social media is here to stay. This fact is inevitable. How to use it however, is a tricky question to answer. For each industry a different approach needs to be taken. In regards to the uniqueness of the tattoo industry, here are a few ways that tattoo parlors can become social media savvy and boost their business.
Facebook is an extremely important tool for tattoo parlors to use. Facebook is the most widely used social media platform. With the creation of a business page for your tattoo parlor you are given many opportunities.
- Publish online artist portfolios and artwork
- Feature guest or visiting artists
- Posting promotions or contests
- Creating event pages for sponsored or hosted events
- Asking questions to fans or using polls to gather information
- Link to outside articles in regards to new types of tattooing or other body modifications
- Posting How-To’s on tattoo and piercing care
- Highlight employees and artists to give business a human side
In the photo above Affinity Tattoo and Piercing has an excellent Facebook presence, visually and content wise.
Pinterest usage has boomed since its creation in 2011. It is one of the fastest growing social media platforms to date. Though the users are 80% female. ignoring this platform would be unwise. “Tattoos” is one of the pre-set categories offered at the top search bar on the Pinterest homepage. This alone shows that this could be an amazing tool to use, there are many amazing features that can benefit a tattoo parlor.
- Showcase tattoo artists and their portfolios by creating “boards” for each artist
- Search capabilities for type of tattoo or new tattoo ideas
- Allows for broad or narrow search when it comes to tattoos
- Allows searchers to locate tattoo shops in certain cities by the use of tags
The tattoo industry relies heavily on reviews. Whether it be in the form of a formal Yelp review or a word-of-mouth review, a tattoo shop can be hit hard by negative feedback. Yelp is a popular way for customers to give feedback to the locations that they visit. If negative feedback is not handled properly, the consequences can be serious.
How to use Yelp knowledgeably:
- Reply personally to every review, whether it be good or bad
- Never be defensive or insult those who give negative reviews, it will only make the situation worse
- Acknowledge all comments/suggestions given
- Apologize if needed and damage control if the situation calls for it
Tattoo Networking Sites
Websites such as Tattoo SEO have the sole purpose of connecting people with tattoo artists. They provide online databases of artists that are available to search. As a business it is important to get your artists included in these databases to help bring in business.
Other Tattoo Networking Sites:
Twitter is an important tool for any business to use. Though, it is less important in the tattoo market due to the nature of the transactions. Getting a tattoo takes thought and research; it is unlikely that one tweet will sway a potential customer on whether or not to come in. Twitter does however allow a few key business strategies for tattoo parlors.
- Gives the business a voice
- Allows for quick communication between potential customers and business
- Gives opportunity to showcase exceptional artwork through picture tweets
- Any promotions can be sent out to potential customers quickly
Texas Body Art and Tattoo does a great job of posting quick and useful information to its followers, as shown in the photo above. They post relevant content such as appointment openings and interesting articles.